[kde-linux] Possibility of problems when copying files over?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jan 23 06:30:35 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> I'm getting a bit worried about this laptop, as it seems to have a few
> problems not seen on any other computers on the LAN.  For instance, if I log
> out > End Session it freezes on a blank screen.
>
> The laptop has had a hard-drive replacement.  Before it went back to the
> manufacturer I made a backup of all data and config files.  All my .kde
> folder was copied back.  The old drive had Mandriva 2007.1 and the new one
> has Mandriva 2008.  Does anyone know whether there have been any significant
> changes that would cause problems if the old config file is being used?

I'm using old config file, but not Mandriva, and often have that
problem. Sometimes it works fine if I sit there moving the mouse around.
Sometimes it returns to my text login screen, with various error
messages being displayed about fontconfig or "Bad Window" messages from
KDE. All in all, I blame the increasingly-faulty quality control of the
KDE team.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com