[kde-linux] State of Konqueror: my 2 cents

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jan 21 23:38:56 UTC 2008

joseph lockhart wrote:
>> The major change to Konqueror in 4.0 was to remove two file manager
>>  KParts and replace them with a Dolphin KPart. Perhaps this can be
>>  justified for maintainability, but the unfortunate fact is that
>> Konqueror 4.0.0 lacks many of the features which Konqueror 3.5.x
>> has.
>
> oh yes i should add *get rid of Dolphin*
>
> IMHO there is no reason for so many file managers, and Dolphin is a
> poor (perhaps just young) example of one.

Yes, Dolphin is just young and not really finished.

> Konq is supposed to be the basis of all KDE apps (read the opening
> statements on their website www.konqueror.org) and Dolphin interferes
> with how Konq operates as a file manager and must be deleted before
> Konq begins to act like it should.

I don't see that we need a separate file manager either.  However, IIUC
that wasn't the reason that the Dolphin project was started.  Dolphin
contains some good features that should be added to Konqueror.  OTHO,
some of them like the 'Preview' mode are redundant since Konqueror can
already accomplish this without a somewhat awkward additional mode.

--
JRT