[kde-linux] State of Konqueror: my 2 cents

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 20 08:51:46 UTC 2008

On Friday 18 January 2008 16:27:59 Stuart Norman wrote:
> I've loved Konq ever since it was introduced and I think it is the best
> application ever created for any OS ever. Period. I keep it running all the
> time. It's the ultimate file manager/browser. And I operate from a file or
> document centric approach wherein the computer is just a database/server -
> I don't want to see apps, I want to see functionality. I love extreme
> configurability and dream of a system where there's no standard desktop
> look and feel - it's all left up to the user. But I understand why so many
> people might find it confusing because of the way they interact with a
> computer, especially if they recently came from the Windows/corporate
> world. It saddens me that it might not be developed anymore. I'm sure that
> some of its minor problems can be fixed and new features added and made
> more intuitive. It suffers from the main problem of *NIX systems:
> configurability and flexibility, leading to incredible power. This should
> be a problem? I'll take more like it.

I'm sure many of us feel like that :-)  I have always thought that the main
problems were probably caused by M$'s 'extensions', but if firefox can handle
them it should be possible for that knowledge to be applied.  That is, of
course, unless it would introduce serious code clashes.  Only the
developers/maintainers can answer that one.

I don't really care about the sites that over-use eye-candy, but sites where I
need to make a payment and the vendor's system doesn't work properly with
konqueror are a real problem.