[kde-linux] State of Konqueror ?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 17 20:18:34 UTC 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008 19:46:46 Richard wrote:
> Well, after reviewing Dolphin the new file manager for KDE 4, and Firefox 3
> Beta3.  I could not help but think?, there must something serious wrong
> with Konqueror...

There have been many complaints that konqueror is too big, too complicated,
too configurable, so it was decided that a lighter weight file manager was in
order.  For those of us that like its configurability, we get to keep
konqueror.

Konqueror does, however, have its roots in old code, and it has proved very
difficult to keep up to date in terms of web browsing because of that.  The
funny thing is that while there are some sites that Konqueror just can't
handle, today I met one with a form which Firefox displayed wrongly - missing
a field completely, and therefore could not be returned.  Konqueror displayed
it and sent it off without a problem.  I find it very necessary to have both
FF and Konq to hand.

Once kde4 settles down it will be time to decide where web browsing goes in
kde - though the decisions are probably made already.