[kde-linux] KDE4 + Qt4 compilation problems

Alexey Chernov 4ernov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 12:17:46 UTC 2008

> Alexey Chernov wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm experiencing serious problems with KDE4 installation. I was really
>> looking forward to building it and now it's finally released, but I
>> can't build it.
>>
>> I built a fresh system using Linux From Scratch book. My architecture
>> is x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu. I built both 32 and 64 bit toolchains,
>> but most of libraries (including Xorg etc.) are 64 bit.
>>
>> The versions of tools in toolchain are: Binutils 2.18, GCC 4.2.2
>> and Glibc 2.7. X.org is 7.3.
>>
>> I tried to build KDE4 from source code using "Getting Started" guide
>> on kde.org. Before KDE4 release I prepared and built Qt 4.3.3 Open
>> Source Edition. It compiled ok. But when I started to build kdelibs
>> I received error message from CMake:
>>
>> "CMake Error: Qt compiled without support for -fvisibility=hidden.
>> This will break plugins and linking of some applications.
>> Please fix your Qt installation.
>> -- Configuring done"

> I built Qt-4.3.3 with:

> .//configure -qt-gif -no-exceptions -debug -fast -prefix
> /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4 -no-cups -no-xinerama -no-tablet -qdbus -pch
> -nomake examples -nomake demos

> {all one line}

> and had no problems.

> OTOH, I see no mention of your installing KDESupport or QCA before you
> tried to build KDELibs.

Thank you very much for your support!
I tried to investigate the problem and I think, the issue is related to
my toolchain, because from LFS live-cd Qt4 compiles ok with the flags
that I mentioned.

I will rebuild my system. I also want to find the exact problem app
 in the toolchain. I think of GCC 4.2.2 now.

Could you please write your version of GCC? And one more question, did
you use "-fvisibility=hidden" flag when you compiled Qt?

And as to KDESupport and QCA, yes, I skipped that steps, but I don't
think it make any difference, because kdelibs didn't reach the point to
check this when cmake configured it. I think, it checks compiler,
sets some flags for it and fails checking Qt.

Alexey Chernov