[kde-linux] kde4, first impressions

Ben Kevan ben.kevan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 16:40:57 UTC 2008

On Sunday 13 January 2008 08:34:48 am Werner Joss wrote:

> > The kicker panel still doesn't seem to allow any configuration.
>
> known issue - should be solved soon (4.0.1 ?)

This is the main reason I will not switch. I don't expect it to be
configurable until 4.1 and not 4.0.1.

Another thing I've run into is lancealot problems (remote KIO_SLAVE) in the
lancealot part plug in.

The "Home" button in Kickoff opens Konq. and not Dolphin (not sure if this is
an openSUSE related thing as i've not yet tested kde 4 with non kde packages)

A few other quirks but nothing major. I think i'll wait for openSUSE 11.0
until I actually try KDE 4.x on a production machine. If I get the choice of
KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.1 I may have to keep 3.x until the plasma panel is more
configurable :o).

Ben