[kde-linux] Problem with menu .desktop file paths

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Feb 25 11:39:55 UTC 2008

On Monday 25 February 2008, Murray Trainer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using KDE 3.5.8 on Kubuntu 7.10.  I want to modify the path that is
> used to find .desktop files that populate my KDE menu file.  I
> want /usr/local/share/applications/ to be searched
> before /usr/share/applications/ as the current setup below is causing me
> problems with missing menu entries.
>
> kde-config --path xdgdata-apps
> /root/.local/share/applications/:/usr/share/applications/:/usr/local/share/
>applications/
>
> I have tried various things in /etc/kderc without success.  Can anyone
> suggest a solution?

The ordering of the non-user directories is controlled by the environment
variable XDG_DATA_DIRS
If unset or empty it defaults to /usr/local/share:/usr/share

Since yours is the other way around, it seems to be set somewhere to
/usr/share:/usr/local/share

It needs to be set differently (or unset) in the environment the startkde
script runs in.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring