[kde-linux] k3b won't verify data

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 17 12:50:49 UTC 2008

On Sunday 17 February 2008 11:00:04 Dale wrote:
> I guess for now, you have to tell it not to eject if you want to verify
> the data until this is sorted out.

That definitely seems to be the work-around.

> Since Gentoo is source based, this
> should rule out a distro specific problem.  What do you folks think?
> Does these tests help any?

That agrees with my conclusion, based on the several lists that I read.  Two
points that I'd raise, for you to consider - it works perfectly for some
people, but not for others.  It could be hardware-specific, or it could be a
combination of factors, that last being most difficult to test.

Secondly, I have seen reports of it being a problem with CDs or with DVDs,
people saying that one works, but not the other.  That to me suggests that
it's not hal.  I do wonder whether some burners handle DVD-burning in
particular in a slightly non-standard way.  An extreme example is when LG set
one model of burner to use the 'flush-cache' instruction to do something
else, so that installing a distro caused the drive to die totally until LG
released a fix.  It seems to me that there may be less-drastic customisations
that may be at fault.

I'm reluctant to blame k3b, as so many people, myself included, use it without
any such problem.  If it were the application I would expect it to be
universally experience.  At the moment my bet is on hardware.

BTW, have you tested it on both CD and DVD?