[kde-linux] k3b won't verify data

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 4 20:58:33 UTC 2008

On Monday 04 February 2008 19:39:40 david wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> I have only a CD burner, although the drive is one of those combo drives
> >> able to read DVDs.
> >>
> >> Guess it's not going to get fixed ...
> >
> > I don't know whether it's an Ubuntu issue, but I suspect not.
>
> It's not an Ubuntu issue - I'm running Debian Etch Lenny/Sid.
>
> > I think that
> > most times I've heard of it the reporter has mentioned owning a combo
> > drive like yours.  If you are able to put a standard DVD drive in I
> > suspect the problem will go away.
>
> This is a laptop - I can't change out the drive. In fact, most laptops
> I've run into included some kind of combo drive. So having this bug
> around so long seems a little silly to me.

If the bug can't be reliably triggered, it can't be fixed.

> > It certainly is fine on every system I've handled, but
> > I've never had a combo drive.
>
> To make it weird, sometime back, there was a month or so when it
> verified data just fine.
>
> Oh, well!

It's not a simple k3b bug - verify works fine on many/most drives.  It must be
an interaction between hardware and software, being specific to certain
hardware, but that doesn't make it any easier to track down.  Your last point
suggests that something changed, making it work, then not work.  I can only
suggest that you try, next time you see a change in behaviour, to record what
has been updated in recent times.  Of course if you only burn a dvd rarely
that's not going to be easy.

Sorry I can't suggest anything more helpful.  I thought of mdsums, but a
burned disk would have a different sum to the original iso.  That's how k3b
verifies anyway, but I think Gaffer is right, and it's not the verify that's
failing, but communication.