[kde-linux] k3b won't verify data

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Mon Feb 4 19:55:34 UTC 2008

Hi Anne,

On Monday 04 February 2008 19:19, Anne Wilson inscribed thus:
> On Monday 04 February 2008 17:26:25 Gaffer. wrote:

> > I have only one drive, a NEC_DVD_ RW ND-3500AG-B.  Its seems only
> > to fail to verify when I burn a DVD.  The burn always completes
> > just fine, then I hit cancel when its fails to start the
> > verification.
>
> Is there any possibility of borrowing a drive and trying that?  I
> could be way off beam, but every thread I've read about this seems
> to come back to a hardware problem.  As a matter of interest, how
> old is the drive?  Is it one of the early generation of DVD drives?
>  Standards were not as adhered to in the early days - the old
> business of trying to get an advantage by doing something
> non-standard.  Anyway, if you can borrow a drive and try that it
> would answer the problem, one way or the other.
>
> Anne

Sure I can pop another drive in there and test it.   The above drive
is probably 5 or 6 months old, but when I remove it I will check the
manufactured date for you.

> > > I don't know whether it's an Ubuntu issue, but I suspect not.
> > > I think that most times I've heard of it the reporter has
> > > mentioned owning a combo drive like yours.  If you are able to
> > > put a standard DVD drive in I suspect the problem will go away.
> > >  It certainly is fine on every system I've handled, but I've
> > > never had a combo drive.
> > >
> > > Anne

No I don't think it is distro specific at all.  Probably some weird
bug.   Like other users have reported, it comes and goes.  That in
itself suggests either hardware or timing issues.

Something along the lines of:-   Software requires an input from some
hardware.  Software gets interrupted and misses input.  Hardware has
no way of knowing that the signal has been missed.

But this scenario poses questions of its own.

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.