[kde-linux] k3b won't verify data

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:12:39 UTC 2008

On Saturday 02 February 2008 10:20:13 david wrote:
> Gaffer. wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 February 2008 09:55, david inscribed thus:
> >> Have k3b 1.0.4 running with KDE 3.5.8 (Debian Lenny/Sid). Whenever
> >> I tell it to verify data after burning, it completes the burn, pops
> >> open the CD tray, waits patiently until I push the tray back in.
> >> Then it says "Verifying Track" and NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING HAPPENS.
> >> The CD drive makes a few clicking noise, but no reading begins.
> >> Just sits there doing nothing. If I flip to another desktop, the CD
> >> icon shows up, can be mounted, opened, data read from it,
> >> unmounted, ejected. And the whole time k3b sits there "verifying
> >> data" but never reading anything.
> >>
> >> Can't find a k3b bug database anywhere, but apparently this is well
> >> documented amongst Ubuntu users in their forums.
> >>
> >> Anything I can do about it?
> >
> > This bug has been there quite a while.  In my experience it only seems
> > to affect DVD's  CD's write and verify for me just fine.
>
> I have only a CD burner, although the drive is one of those combo drives
> able to read DVDs.
>
> Guess it's not going to get fixed ...

I don't know whether it's an Ubuntu issue, but I suspect not.  I think that
most times I've heard of it the reporter has mentioned owning a combo drive
like yours.  If you are able to put a standard DVD drive in I suspect the
problem will go away.  It certainly is fine on every system I've handled, but
I've never had a combo drive.