[kde-linux] kmail and kdewallet

Jethro Tull heavytull at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 29 13:10:47 UTC 2008

Does anyone know where can i get the logs of kwallet?
when i load it through a konsole session i don't get any log. kmail doesn't output any relevant info about getting infos from kwallet.

So this problem is quite difficult to backtrace.
anyway, it looks quite like a benign problem, i don't understand how developers could build such a bug and not be able to solve. it's been long i first requested for help for this in this mailing list.

is kmail hardcoded to call kwallet? or is there any daemon that analyzes interrupts and runs kwallet when kmail send a signal for infos such as passwords?
it seems that kde has been being written for many years and developers only add code when new ideas come but never try to get the previous code to be more optimized and robust.
when a bug is declared then it is not really eradicated but just hidden.
as an example take the bug:
Bug 109773:

       'Get New Wallpaper' ticks wrong item.
when this bug was soved a new complain came. it is Bug 126190:

       'Get New Wallpapers' blocks while downloading

in a few words the initial problem was as following:
in the "Configure Desktop" by right click on the desktop, there is a button "Get New Wallpaper" which launches a window listing online wallpapers that users can download to be directly available as wallpapers on local host.
While a wallpaper was downloaded (about 30seconds) the list was still available so as the user checks other wallpapers but when the download reached the end, the currently viewed wallpaper was ticked instead of the one downloaded. This created a huge mess because the later which was ticked couldn't be downloaded anymore because it was considered as already downloaded by the system, while the one reall downloaded was still available to be downloaded. And this mis tick persisted all along the time up to the upgrade of the system.

Then a KDE bugger off developer solved the problem by simply blocking the list while a download was running. So when dowloading a wallpaper the user had to wait for the end to be able to see other wallpapers. As long as the download was taking long time this was annoying waste of time for the user, at least for me.

later a new bug has been reported: Bug 126190:

       'Get New Wallpapers' blocks while downloading
as stated above.

So is the mess in KDE.