[kde-linux] Problem logging in as non-root user

joseph lockhart jwl_andlovesaidno at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 18:08:41 UTC 2008

--- On Mon, 8/11/08, Neeraj Vaidya <neeraj.vaidya at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

<snip>

> I installed KDE 3.5.6 and I am able to successfully launch
> the KDE session when I issue startx from a root session.
>
> I have setup my inittab to start kdm on boot.

what distro flavor are you using? may help as some do things a little diffrent

> When I try to login as a
> normal (non-root) user , I get stuck at the message saying
>
> There is just a mouse pointer which I can move around.
> Nothing else
> happens. I then kill X by ctrl-alt-backspace. This brings
> me to the
> console where I can see the following errors in the
> ~/.xsession-errors
> file. Can somebody please help me with this ?
>
> (I am guessing that this
> could be a permissions issue. Since the root is able to get
> to the
> desktop as cleanly as a whistle). Also , it seems strange
> that iceauth
> is not able to find the shared library whereas it clearly
> eists in a
> very "popular" location /usr/X11R6/lib. Also ,
> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH has
> been updated with this path.

yes it could be a permissions issue, kde should run as a user, but kdm runs as root AFAIR

> I know a lot of you are going to tell me to upgrade to KDE
> 4 , but I
> want to first know why I am not able to login as non-root
> in this case.
>
> Here is the ~/.xsession-errors file:
>
> startkde: Starting up...
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin//iceauth: error
> while loading shared libraries: libICE.so.6: cannot open
> shared object
> file: No such file or directory

I find my libICE.so.6 in /usr/lib, try repathing, it may be expecting it in the wrong place

<snip remainder of message>

I am sure others will have more sage words for you, good luck sorting it out,

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
this user is penguin powered