[kde-linux] amarok dislikes mysql - at least, when you're not root.

Philipp Paul bobbor.pap at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 28 19:19:14 UTC 2007

hi all,

today i decided to switch the database that amarok uses from SQLite to
MySQL.

i created a new database called 'amarok' and a seperate user, that has all
rights (including GRANT) in this -and only this- database.
so i got into the amarok settings, and submitted all necessary information
to make amarok work with mysql.

but since then, nothing works anymore.
i restarted amarok, and all there goes is the splash screen.
using 'top' i can see, that it is running.
but there is now tray icon, there is no playlist-window, and there is no
player.
so in the first moment i thought, maybe the console output may give some
more information.
but all there comes is:

Amarok: [Loader] Amarok is taking a long time to load! Perhaps something has
gone wrong?

VERY useful.

my next thought was, maybe amarok is in disharmony with mysql, so i started:

amarok --wizard
in the command line.
i switched back to SQLite and clicked finish.

i started amarok once again, and there we go again: nothing.
pretty strange, huh?

well, then i decided to get back to mysql, because i know it works. at least
it worked with previous installations.
this time i made amarok access the database as root.
and there you go, it worked.
but the real strange thing is, afterwards, i decided to change the settings
back, to let amarok access mysql as the appropriate user (the one mentioned
in the beginning). and then restarting amarok switched me back to the point
i was in the beginning.
(but this time the tray-icon and the playlist-window appeared, at least)

mmhhmh..

any ideas?
i don't want to let amarok access the db as root. (that gives me a
uncomfortable feeling).
did that happened to anyone before?

i mean i can live with, letting access root the db till i find a fix, but i
just can't explain why SQLite won't work anymore if MySQL has the wrong
login information.

and if anyone knows: what rights does the user != root need to make it work
with amarok (maybe some global rights)

Philipp