[kde-linux] KDE 3 Beta

John Layt johnlayt1 at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Oct 27 09:27:34 UTC 2007

On Saturday 27 October 2007, Ben Kevan wrote:
> This IS a _BETA_ release. Are you not sure the true meaning of a Beta
> release? On another note does anyone know if RC was tagged for release on
> the 30th?

It's tagged, but looks to now be called Beta 4, with the Dev Platform release
at RC1 instead of final release.  We'll keep rolling out Beta's until it's
ready for an RC.  That's KDE's traditional labelling.

For those wanting to play, I'd strongly suggest using the live CD, or your
distros packages if they are reliable and complete (i.e. openSuse). If
compiling from svn then please include extragear and playground before
drawing conclusions on Plasma, as half of it is still in those modules until
they are deemed ready.

KDE is more than just the Desktop, and is more than the 'official' project.
Lets make it clear, there's 5 areas progressing in parallel but not always at
the same rate:
1) The Dev Platform
2) The applications in core modules (over 150 of them)
3) the applications in koffice/extragear/playground (e.g Amarok, Digikam)
4) The applications outside svn
5) The *nix Desktop

Note that the apps are built on top of the Dev Platform and not the Desktop,
but the Dev Platform needs the apps for feedback.  The Dev Platform has been
at RC level for a few weeks now, most apps in the core modules are clearly in
beta as well by anyones standards, koffice/extragear is futher behind as they
have their own release schedules, and outside apps we have no influence over.

The sole area of contention is the Plasma Desktop where the core plasma
library stuff is beta but is missing some of the user visable stuff which
will come quickly now thanks to the stable and powerful set of libs.  Makes
sense really, you don't start putting on the roof and painting the house
before you lay your foundations and build the walls.

A myth we need to dispel is that come 4.0 everything will be perfect,
everything will be shiny new, everything will be finished.  That's not how
open source works, that's not how KDE works.  This is not Vista or Leopard
where a box ships and sits on the shelf largely unchanged for 5 years bar the
odd SP or security patch.

Release Early, Release Often: 4.0 is a base on which we will continue to
build.  There's a lot of stuff that won't make it until 4.1, there's stuff
that won't even make it until 4.2, there's outside apps that will never be
ported.  We don't wait around for everything to be done or we'd never get a
release out.

John.