[kde-linux] KDE 3 Beta

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Oct 27 06:21:27 UTC 2007

Ben Kevan wrote:
> On Friday 26 October 2007 01:23:02 pm James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> H.P. Garcia wrote:
>>> I want to know if anyone got KDE4 up and going?
>> That depends on how you define your terms. :-)
>>
>> I managed to compile it, install it and start the desktop. However,
>> since there was no menu and no way to configure the panel, it was
>> not very useful.  I managed to load KPat and play solitaire despite
>> the fact that the background can't be set and the card deck chooser
>> seems to be different and partially broken.
>>
>> As others have said, this is not yet a Beta release.
>
> This IS a _BETA_ release. Are you not sure the true meaning of a Beta
>  release?

I cite the WikiPedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

According to this source, it is still Alpha.

> On another note does anyone know if RC was tagged for release on the
> 30th?

That would be a serious error.  Calling it an RC won't make it one [see
the WikiPedia article].

The current trunk is not yet ready for a Beta release.  It appears that
if it were not for Plasma, that we would be ready for the first Beta
release by the 10th -- some of it is probably ready for RC, but some of
it is still Alpha.  But, Beta must have features basically complete and
Plasma isn't complete yet, so a Beta release should have waited until it
was.

OTOH, if we are going to call this Beta, then according to KDE
definitions we need to have some Delta releases before the RC stage.

I would like to see a Beta 4 when it can truly be called a Beta.

--
JRT