[kde-linux] POP Filters

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Oct 19 07:31:25 UTC 2007

Gaffer. wrote:
> On Thursday 18 October 2007 19:53, david inscribed thus:
>> Gaffer. wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> On Thursday 18 October 2007 07:50, david inscribed thus:

>>> Yes I remember "Pegasus"   Does it still exist ?
>> Yes, it does - http://www.pmail.com/. Still DOS and Windows only.
>> The author periodically makes noises about open sourcing it, but
>> has weird ideas about what that means. And even though what money
>> he's made from his products for many many years now has come from
>> support contracts, he seems to have missed the fact that you can
>> make money that same way with an open source product ...
>
> In that case the guy is probably too closed mind to change.

He seems to be. Right now, he's hung up about the fact that a core
element of his product is a closed source editor package - going open
source would mean he'd have to replace it. Which would most likely take
a lot of time and effort if he sticks with his long-time "It's my code
and only I touch it." Now the editor could be very intertwined into the
Pegasus client, but I personally would consider replacing that to be the
first thing I'd open source about my application!

>>> Yes you could do that with "Pegasus"   Which when I was on "Dial
>>> up" was great.   But that was in my days on the dark side. ;-)
>> I don't know, maybe it would work well enough under WINE for you to
>> use that function?
>
> There is no point nowadays !  What with a 8Mb max connection currently
> about 4.6Mb  the mail comes down the tube so fast you barely notice.

Agreed. Add in my fundamental mistrust of spam filtering that I haven't
personally "trained" to my ideas of what is or is not "spam".

Anyway, are there any GUI Linux mail clients that have the ability to
let the user delete mail from the server without having to download it
first? (I say GUI because our previous ISP thoughtfully provided a
limited shell access that let you run Pine on the server ... )

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community