[kde-linux] POP Filters

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Oct 18 18:53:01 UTC 2007

Gaffer. wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Thursday 18 October 2007 07:50, david inscribed thus:
>> Gaffer. wrote:
>>> Hi Werner,
>>>
>>> On Wednesday 17 October 2007 19:19, Werner Joss inscribed thus:

>>> Yes that is exactly what I mean.
>>>
>>> My assumption was that by creating a POP filter I could simply
>>> delete everything tagged without downloading it.  In practice the
>>> POP filter mechanism in Kmail does not seem to do that.  Either I
>>> am doing something wrongly, or the POP filtering is broken.
>> I seem to recall, from my days long ago using Pegasus Mail for
>> Windows, an otherwise-excellent mail client handicapped by being a
>> Windows program,
>
> Yes I remember "Pegasus"   Does it still exist ?

Yes, it does - http://www.pmail.com/. Still DOS and Windows only. The
author periodically makes noises about open sourcing it, but has weird
ideas about what that means. And even though what money he's made from
his products for many many years now has come from support contracts, he
seems to have missed the fact that you can make money that same way with
an open source product ...

>> that the only way POP filters can work with mail
>> is to download it FIRST. Pegasus had a function that could scan the
>> headers from your mail server, then you could mark and selectively
>> delete mail. But all mail filtering required downloading the mail
>> before a filter could act on it.
>
> Yes you could do that with "Pegasus"   Which when I was on "Dial up"
> was great.   But that was in my days on the dark side. ;-)

I don't know, maybe it would work well enough under WINE for you to use
that function?

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com