[kde-linux] A novel(?) KDE 3.5 taskbar message

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Sat Oct 6 20:51:00 UTC 2007

I am using KDE 3.5 as supplied by Debian Etch and everything works like a
charm.

Unlike my previously-used version of KDE, when I mount an additional
device, KDE now opens another window that displays the content of the
device.  While I am unclear what to do with this extra information, the
routine does not appear to break anything.

However, it has just received a new twist.

I routinely backup my crucial files onto a second HD. The backup drive is
normally unmounted.  It is mounted only for backups and unmounted again as
soon as a successful backup has been verified.  During my latest
(successful) backup, I noted:

- the presence of an additional icon on my taskbar that related to the
  KDE-opened window; and

- when placing my mouse over the new icon, I got a message that the
  content (the mounted drive?) is **asking for attention**.

As mentioned, everything worked perfectly.

But what sort of attention was being requested? And by whom?

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)