[kde-linux] kooka scanning software

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 26 19:51:44 UTC 2007

On Monday 26 November 2007, Richard wrote:
> On Monday 26 November 2007 3:42:49 am Peter Catchlove wrote:
> > ...yes, sorry to dampen the euphoria, but my experience with tesseract
> > was the same as Richard's: much better, but still far from what you get
> > with the (effectively) free stuff you get automatically when you purchase
> > your scanner. While it's true that the best OCR is likely to be
> > commercial, it's frustrating that there's stuff which does a very good
> > job and is virtually given away, but can't be run under linux. Peter
>
> Here Here !!!,
> this is just one of a few areas, Linux needs some more development in,
> instead of eye candy

I'd say additional to eye candy.
Since it is not the same group of developers it isn't an exclusive choice.

> [Unified
> Kontact Manager (Email Notes Calender Schedule..etc ) aka: Outlook
> with Koffice Word, Database, Presentation, Spreadsheet aka: MS Office
> Professional... All those apps working together and working inside KDE,
> as a Core SET with a Common database (sql) backend.] So you have one big
> unified ( GTD ) application (GTD = Getting Things Done )

The KOffice programs are already working together, the 2.x version will
increase this even further, i.e. composite documents can contain portions of
each application's domain, e.g. a drawing from Krita can be embedded into a
KWord document as an element, not only as an embedded component.

While the KDE PIM applications are already quite integrated as well in
Kontact, the new PIM architecture based on Akonadi (scheduled for KDE 4.1)
will not only make this integration smoother, it will also allow other
applications to integrate parts of PIM functionality quite easily.

What kind of PIM<->Office collaboration are you envisioning that isn't
available yet?

> and last:
> a Central Development Application, ( RAD ) that can work with the 10 Top
> programming languages... instead of using several application to program
> aka: Apples XCODE

KDevelop.
http://www.kdevelop.org/HEAD/doc/api/html/LangSupportStatus.html

Probably Eclipse if its non-Java plugins improve a bit more.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring