[kde-linux] kooka scanning software

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sat Nov 24 09:23:02 UTC 2007

On Friday 23 November 2007, Richard wrote:

> Linux needs a Full Blown OCR application on the same par as windows or
> better, plus that can interface with any scanner.
>
> Richard

Yes! But I imagine it's not all that easy to write such algorithms and those
who do my not want to just release them for free.

Not being a programmer I'll not venture to judge what is more difficult to
program, but Video Editing, OCR and Hand Scripting recognition are cleary
fields where commercial products are far, far ahead.

Actually, iMovie is THE reason while I keep a Mac OS install...

And I recently tested the MyScript Notes application (Windows) that bis
amazingly efficient.

I fear that we won't get any of these if we stick to the "must be Open Source
and Free" principle...

Thierry