[kde-linux] kooka scanning software

Richard cms0009 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 21:23:33 UTC 2007

On Thursday 22 November 2007 12:00:22 pm Bruce Bales wrote:
> On Thursday 22 November 2007 hh:mm:ss Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> > hello, everybody.
> > I want to share my  experience/opinion with/on gocr.
> >
> > I've tried this 2 years ago and still monitor the mailing list. Despite
> > of the fact that there is very slow improvement, I was/am disappointed by
> > the fact, that it only works with the latin character set. Above this it
> > is not possible to add own code for other character sets without
> > rewriting some parts of the code.
> >
> > 2 years ago the developers promised, they were planning to replace the
> > algorithms with such using vectors, which would make extending of j/gocr
> > (with plugins) easier, but as far as I know it has not been done yet.
> >
> > So I  think it is a waste of time to discuss on gocr... The C code is
> > also very complicated to read ...
> >
> > shortly - disaster and a pity that there is no linux ocr program. I have
> > not ever heard if something commercial works under linux.
> >
> > I was using OmniPage Pro ... and few weeks ago I tried this in a VMWare
> > (it was working an year ago with a great success) . Now I have an error
> > that says that the license period has expired and it is also not working.
> > Well the program license was obtained in '97 .... but I don't remember to
> > have read something about 10 year period ... any way commercial OCR costs
> > and linux OCR sucks
> >
> > Let us hope that the feature will be better at least for the linux world.
> >
> > regards
>
> Emanoil,
> Linux does have a great OCR program -- it is called tesseract.  It works
> beautifully with my English scans.  I do not know if it works with other
> languages and fonts, but I think you should investigate it.

Been trying this out with xsane, and its still not as good as the cheap window
OCR scanning software you get with the purchase of a scanner.

there are some excellent commercial program for scanning under windows,
that will have a 99% scanning rate, for under a $100.00 and yet,
we don't have anything that can do that, for Linux ( Strike one )

Linux needs a Full Blown OCR application on the same par as windows or better,
plus that can interface with any scanner.

Richard