[kde-linux] kooka scanning software

Peter Catchlove petercatchlove at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 08:03:38 UTC 2007

Richard -
you ought to google on "linux ocr": in fact most of the comments you'll find indicate that there's no good freeware solution. Over the last year "tesseract" has been the great white hope, but in my experience, although it's better than anything else (free) on offer, it's still not terribly good compared to the free OCR stuff you get (windows only) when you buy a scanner.
I've wanted to try one of these windows solutions under WINE, but at the moment don't have time and competence...
regards
Peter > From: cms0009 at gmail.com> To: kde-linux at kde.org> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 02:20:12 -0500> Subject: [kde-linux] kooka scanning software> > been trying out this program, for the most part, all seems to work okay,> scanning in documents...however, using GOCR ocr software, to scan image,> after the fact, its not doing a good job at all, even at 400 dpi setting.> > I've saved the image, in bmp, tga png, and jpeg with color and no color> or lineart... still OCR is not displaying text correct> > Anyone know of the correct setting to scan in Documents,> what resolution and what format to save as... > > Then how to get GOCR to work right ? ( please note: it does get a few words > correct )....A Few> > I need to scan in about 300 hundred documents, to be archive,> would like to be able to have them scan and ocr into a openoffice format..etc> or .pdf format (that you search on text inside.pdf)> > > TIA> Richard> ___________________________________________________> This message is from the kde-linux mailing list.> Account management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-linux.> Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.> More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.