[kde-linux] Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mouse cursor.

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Nov 19 03:28:57 UTC 2007

Phillip Pi wrote:

> Two days ago on my home Debian system, I exited KDE v3.5.x (not sure
> exactly what version I have) and X back to console/text mode and
> restarted it (startx) but now I get a hang. I see a black desktop/GUI/X
> with a movable mouse cursor after seeing NVIDIA logo and an one second
> gray desktop. I have to use ctrl-alt-backspace to kill X to get out of
> it.
>
> I did some investigations and experiments as well. You can see the logs,
> results, etc. in
> http://www.kde-forum.org/artikel/17919/Starting-up-KDE-hangs-with-a-black-desktop-and-mov.html
> thread since they would be too much to post in here.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

I had KDE 3.5.8 until updating yesterday. Every since then, attempts to
start KDE from command line report either not finding kdeinit or errors
trying to run kdeinit. I even removed everything KDE and reinstalled it,
still having same problems.

BUT to make things more strange - the KDE 3.5.7 runs fine if I start it
using "exec startkde" inside an XShell in Fluxbox!!!!

For now, I'm adding more drive space to my file server, then I'll backup
my home directory and reinstall ... stupid computers!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community