[kde-linux] Child windows not appearing - KDE 3.5.7

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Nov 8 13:44:30 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 November 2007, David Boston wrote:
> Hello people,
>      I have a bit of an odd one on KDE 3.5.7-1.fc6 built for Fedora core
> 6 on x86.
>      An application that opens child windows that contain some motif
> widgets to display a text file won't work on the above KDE - there's
> just a flash on the screen the shape of the window and it vanishes as if
> it was a remote window without permission to be there. They do work on

Can you check if they are probably just moved to the background, i.e. they are
created but the current window is kept as the "top most" one.

KWin, KDE's default window manager, has a feature called "focus stealing
prevention", i.e. when a new window requests to be shown, it checks if the
window actually "belongs" to the currently active one (e.g. a dialog of the
same application) and otherwise creates it in the background, so input to the
currently active windows does not get interrupted.

The application in question might not set the proper window manager hints to
detect this association.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring