[kde-linux] no screensaver in KDE & CPU goes to 100%

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 22 09:23:59 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 01:59:42 am Bogus Zaba wrote:
> Jim Philips wrote:
> > When my machine is idle, I rarely get a screensaver, even though I have
> > KDE configured to turn it on after 5 minutes of idle time. What happens
> > instead is that my CPU goes to 100% and the fan comes on. I also have
> > Gnome on this box (for my wife). It has no trouble going to the
> > screensaver or to hibernate mode. So, I'm thinking this has to be
> > something KDE specific. But I don't know where to start. Any ideas?

> I think there are two places in the KDE control centre that you need to
> set things up - one is screensaver (which comes under Appearance &
> Themes) and the other is the Power Control settings for the display
> (which don't just affect the display as far as I can tell). I get to
> these by right-click on the desktop followed by "Configure Desktop" in
> the context menu that pops up.

I tried setting my monitor to hibernate after 30 minutes. The end result is
that my computer not only goes to 100% CPU, but I have to kill X Windows to
get back to a state where it's useable. This is KDE 3.5.6 on Kubuntu Edgy.
Again, just setting the screensaver to come on, will do this. Setting
hibernate mode makes things even worse. No screensaver setting will do the
same thing. The problem is non-existent when I'm running Gnome on the same
box.