[kde-linux] Sifting through oowriter files - saved as M$ .doc - to find word/phrase occurrences

Andrew Walbran qwandor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 07:48:57 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 5:28 pm, john d. herron wrote:
> Hi, all.
> When I use KFind's "Containing text" option to locate files other than
> plain text (e.g. files written in OOWriter but saved as MS .doc) that
> contain a certain word or phrase, I invariably come up emptyhanded even
> though I know for a fact that there are matches it should find.
> Is this a built-in limitation or am I simply being overly optimistic, or
> obviously doing something wrong?
AFAIK, Kfind only looks for literal strings within the file, so only works for
plain text files. OpenDocument files are compressed, so they cannot be
searched directly. I assume MS Word does something similar with DOC files.

> If so, are there any other methods that could provide the results I am
> looking for?
It might be worth trying Beagle (http://beagle-project.org/), and in
particular Kerry Beagle (the KDE frontend). I have not used it myself, but I
understand that it does what you want.

--
Andrew Walbran
website: http://q.geek.nz/