[kde-linux] Accent Characters

Philipp Paul bobbor.pap at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 19 13:25:39 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 19 June 2007 14:07:59 Thomas Ronayne wrote:
> kde-linux-request at kde.org wrote:
>
>     Thomas - I have SUse 10.1 and KDE 3.5.1 so things may not be the same
> as with you, but for me the Menu entry >Personal Settings > Regional &
> Accessibility > Keyboard Layouts get me to a place with three tabs. One of
> these (the middle one) is called "Switching Options" and within that there
> is a toggle switch labeled "enable sticky switching". That might be what
> you want. I once had the keyboard set up like you say, with the possibility
> of modifying one key with another to produce accented characters.
> Inevitably I forgot how to do it and so if you get this working, remind me
> how its done...
>
>     Bogus Zaba
>
> Yeah, I fooled around with that and got nowhere at the speed of light.
> The FAQ talks about "keyboard layout with dead keys," and, of course,
> there isn't any such thing any more, sigh. I have a feeling that there
> is a simple, elegant way to do this but it's a big secret and nobody
> wants to talk about it (most KDE documentation leaves, well, a lot to be
> desired when you get past the "click-and-drool" parts).
>
> Oh, well, thanks for trying.

first of all, i assume, that your from the US.
so i think your keyboard has the US "qwerty" Layout.
but.. as far as i know, there are no umlaut-keys..
i refer myself to the vi-vim-cheatsheet

with the accents i can help you..
go to the keyboard layout option in the control center...

klick the "Enable keyboard layouts"
this whole widget shouldn't be greyed out anymore ..
In active layouts you place all the layouts for your keyboard you want..
In your case it would be US..
add it --> then expicitly choose it and then klick the drop-down menu
called "Layout variant" where you can choose different stuff..
since i'm not from the US i only tried a bit, to be able to do what you
want... with the "intl" layout variant i was able to write an ê and an é and
an è  ;)

this way you're able to write accent characters and normal characters all the
time .. no need to switch between different variants/layouts/etc... (at least
i think so)

sorry can't help with the umlauts and all the characters usual in the
scandinavic countries..