[kde-linux] Accent Characters

Thomas Ronayne trona at ameritech.net
Tue Jun 19 12:07:59 UTC 2007

kde-linux-request at kde.org wrote:

    Thomas - I have SUse 10.1 and KDE 3.5.1 so things may not be the same as
    with you, but for me the Menu entry >Personal Settings > Regional &
    Accessibility > Keyboard Layouts get me to a place with three tabs. One
    of these (the middle one) is called "Switching Options" and within that
    there is a toggle switch labeled "enable sticky switching". That might
    be what you want. I once had the keyboard set up like you say, with the
    possibility of modifying one key with another to produce accented
    characters. Inevitably I forgot how to do it and so if you get this
    working, remind me how its done...

    Bogus Zaba

Yeah, I fooled around with that and got nowhere at the speed of light.
The FAQ talks about "keyboard layout with dead keys," and, of course,
there isn't any such thing any more, sigh. I have a feeling that there
is a simple, elegant way to do this but it's a big secret and nobody
wants to talk about it (most KDE documentation leaves, well, a lot to be
desired when you get past the "click-and-drool" parts).

Oh, well, thanks for trying.