[kde-linux] Alternate Characters

Bogus Zaba bogus at bogzab.plus.com
Mon Jun 18 20:36:24 UTC 2007

Thomas Ronayne wrote:
> Prior to KDE 3.5.x (I'm currently using 3.5.4) there was a way of
> switching between US and US dead keys (at least I think that's what is
> was) so I could type, say, the letter e followed by a singly quote to
> get an accented e; same with umlauts and similar multi-stroke
> characters. I've not been able to discover how to do that in KDE 3.4.x
> and I wonder if someone would be kind enough to point the way -- fooling
> the mouse to "insert a special character" is a complete pain and if
> there is some way to type a sequence it would be a great thing.
>
> Thanks.

Thomas - I have SUse 10.1 and KDE 3.5.1 so things may not be the same as
with you, but for me the Menu entry >Personal Settings > Regional &
Accesibility > Keyboard Layouts get me to a place with three tabs. One
of these (the middle one) is called "Switching Options" and within that
there is a toggle switch labelled "enable sticky switching". That might
be what you want. I once had the keyboard set up like you say, with the
possibility of modifying one key with another to produce accented
characters. Inevitably I forgot how to do it and so if you get this
working, remind me how its done...

Bogus Zaba