[kde-linux] Error loading 'kio-smb'

James Loughner jwrl at suddenlink.net
Sat Jun 16 02:59:46 UTC 2007

No help with this??

Running Suse 10.1 64 bit KDE 3.5 updating with Smart 0.51 with the
default channels.
After a recent update from the Suse KDE site I lost my connection to the
local network via Samba

Unable to create io-slave.
Error loading 'kio_smb'

to the lan (though I don't use this)
Unable to create io-slave.
Error loading 'kio_lan'

Samba is running and operational I can connect to the Linux box and I
can get a file that has a history in  Open Office. This is a KDE
problem. A web search got me this but it is for a different distro and
the directories don't line up to mine so am not sure how to proceed.

"With the default install of KDE 3.5 (by package or svn compilation) and
samba,
konqueror (with my installation and others I've seen, at least) gives an
error saying "unable to create ioslave" "error loading kio_smb" when trying
to access the smb network. I solved this by
linking /System/Links/Libraries/libsmbclient.so.0
to /Programs/Samba/Current/lib/libsmbclient.so
"

I do have libsmbclient.so.0 but it does not appear in the above
directory (/usr/lib and /usr/lib64) and I'm unsure which director to
create a link in, or even if this will correct the problem. I had some

Thanks