[kde-linux] Hotplug (USB) Problem with KDE 3.5.5 - dbus/hal

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Jun 11 09:12:57 UTC 2007

On Monday 11 June 2007, Hans Hacker wrote:
> Well, the problem is, that we have dozends or more different groups...
> I thought about writing a script which adds all the different groups
> to '/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf' ...
> but i would prefer a somewhat cleaner method !

Well, the cleanest method from the system's perspective is of course to add
all users who are allowed to  mount to the plugdev group.

If all users are allowed to handle plugable devices, it might be possible to
have the HAL interface available without any restrictions, probably by using
wildcards such as * in the group name.

> Can i switch back to pmount ? pmount would work perfect, because
> it accepts the settings from '/etc/security/group.conf'

Hmm, no idea.
Might depend on how the packages were built.

> I couldn't figure out how exactly kde mounts the devices ... i renamed
> 'kio_media_mounthelper' and wrote me a perl-script (with this name) which
> should mount the device via 'pmount' but it appears that kde doesn't use
> 'kio_media_mounthelper' ...

Mounting is delegated to HAL, I think kio_media_mounthelper has been used
prior to the introduction of HAL.

The workflow is basically like this:
1) HAL detects the new device
2) it sends a signal on the system bus to notify other processes about this
3) the KDED module mediamanager detects this signal and opens the action
dialog
4) if the chosen action requires a mount operation, mediamanager does a D-Bus
call to HAL, asking it to mount the device, passing mount options the user
has configured for this kind of device
5) HAL can additionally have its own (central) configuration of mount options,
though I don't know if they are used in either case or only when the user
process does not pass its own.

I am also not sure if HAL uses a mount helper or if it does the mount call
itself.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring