[kde-linux] Hotplug (USB) Problem with KDE 3.5.5 - dbus/hal

Andrew Walbran qwandor at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 20:26:09 UTC 2007

On Saturday 09 June 2007 1:54 am, Hans Hacker wrote:
> Hi folks,
> i want to set up our system to use usbsticks/cameras/cds.
> I use Debian Edge and KDE 3.5.5 !
>
> KDE recognizes the usb device if i plug it.
>
> But if i want to open it i get the following message:
>
> A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message
> to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had
> interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name
> "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")
>
> i found out, that i need be a member of the group 'plugdev'
>
> the first idea was to enter it in '/etc/security/group.conf' ...
> for some reason that does'nt work !!
> so i modified '/etc/group' and added me to the group plugdev
> and it worked ...
>
> my problem is now, that in our company aprox. 100 people work ... and
> i can't add them all to the group by hand
Try using the GUI kuser, or the command line tool adduser. If you use kuser,
select the plugdev group then click edit group, and you can then select the
users to add at once. If you use adduser, use the form 'adduser username
plugdev', which could be called from a shell script to add a big list of
users. Note that either way, this will not affect currently logged in users
until the login again.

--
Andrew Walbran
website: http://q.geek.nz/