[kde-linux] Hotplug (USB) Problem with KDE 3.5.5 - dbus/hal

Hans Hacker hacker at studentenwerk.mhn.de
Fri Jun 8 13:54:05 UTC 2007

Hi folks,
i want to set up our system to use usbsticks/cameras/cds.
I use Debian Edge and KDE 3.5.5 !

KDE recognizes the usb device if i plug it.

But if i want to open it i get the following message:

A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to
this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had
interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error
name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")

i found out, that i need be a member of the group 'plugdev'

the first idea was to enter it in '/etc/security/group.conf' ...
for some reason that does'nt work !!
so i modified '/etc/group' and added me to the group plugdev
and it worked ...

my problem is now, that in our company aprox. 100 people work ... and
i can't add them all to the group by hand

can someone help me ...

cheers
Hans Hacker