[kde-linux] FlashPlayer9 for Konqueror

Scott Bicknell scotbicknel at cox.net
Thu Jun 7 06:34:12 UTC 2007

On Wed June 6 2007 10:06 pm, Frank K wrote:

> Hello List,
> How do i install the Adobe flashplayer into Konqueror? I downloaded
> the flash9 tarball and the RPM from Adobe. Firefox is my default web
> browser on my opensuse10.2 system. The RPM installed the flash as a
> Firefox plugin.

How you solve this problem depends on whether you installed the plugin
as the root user or as a regular user. If you installed it as the root
user, it will be in a system directory. You only need to add this
directory to Konqueror's configuration and have it scan for new
plugins.

If you installed it as a regular user, the plugin will be found in your
user account (probably in ~/.mozilla/firefox/plugins/). But the same
procedure applies in either case; only the location will change.

Open Konqueror's configuration dialog and choose the Plugins page. In
the Scan Folders section click the New button. Then either type the
path to the installed plugin or use the Select Folder dialog to find
it. Then click the Scan for New Plugins button and Konqueror will pick
up the flash plugin.

> The unpacked tarball mentions plugin directories that
> don't seem to exist for Konqueror. The Adobe download page is context
> sensitive, but the same page displays with either Firefox or
> Konqueror. Should I post this question on a different list?

Everything is configurable. Even if the Adobe installer insisted on
putting the plugin where no browser on your system would find it, you
could make it work by symlinking it or moving it to a location where
your browsers could find it. But the instructions above should be
sufficient to enable it for Konqueror.
--
73, AC7ZZ
Registered Linux User #246504