[kde-linux] Connecting to a samba share at startup

John Andersen jsa at pen.homeip.net
Tue Jul 31 02:04:54 UTC 2007

On Monday 30 July 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 30 Jul 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 30 Jul 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Hmm - I have
> > >
> > > //borg/anne  /mnt/Samba-Home   smbfs   username=anne,password=mypasswd
> > > 0 0
> > >
> > > but it didn't work.  What did I get wrong?
> >
> > This is most odd.  During kde startup I was told that access was denied
> > to my samba home.  On starting kontact I got an access denied, as well.
> > In konqueror I saw my borg home directory listed.  When I went back to it
> > a moment later not only was it not listed, but the mount point had
> > disappeared.
> >
> > Totally weird.
>
> Still more weird - I now have an icon for the networked folder.  Clicking
> on it opens a window labelled 'media:/anne' but anne doesn't show in the
> navigator panel list, either under mnt or media.  Opening Calendar in
> kontact still tells me that access is denied, yet my remote calendar is
> displayed.
>
> Anne

Try a mount command in Konsole and see what you get.
Depending on your distro you may be using CIFS instead of SMBFS.

/usr/bin/smbmount something somewhere.....

Perhaps it will be more telling.

If your system does use cifs instead of smbfs, the command is:

/sbin/mount.cifs something somewere...

I know suse switched to cifs where the fstab entry goes something like this:

//mach/share    /mnt      cifs
auto,user,uid=1000,gid=1003,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,ip=192.168.0.1,noacl,noperm,nocase,credentials=/root/mount-creds
1 2

(That is all one line.  It wrapped here)

Adjust uid/gid/file_mode/dir_mode/and IP as needed.

The file /root/mount-creds  contains two lines, something like
username=anne
password=annepass

Its undesirable to put your password in fstab.

Note the noacl and noperm bits cause the machine hosting the share to manage
permissions, rather than trying to have the machine mounting the share attempt
to manage them.  This is what you want, unless you synchronize passwords etc.

--
John Andersen