[kde-linux] Anyway to have KDE hide mouse pointer when keyboard in use?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss03 at volumehost.net
Fri Jul 27 05:40:53 UTC 2007

On Thursday 26 July 2007, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> wrote
about 'Re: [kde-linux] Anyway to have KDE hide mouse pointer when keyboard
in use?':
> Konsole is an Xterm clone and it emulates text mode.  Note that it has a
> text mode mouse pointer which and only be used for limited purposes.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  I get a standard X pointer when mousing
over konsole.  It is the "text input bar" type, but it is a standard X
cursor until I start typing.  Then, it disappears and I don't get a
different "text mode" cursor.  Also, the "text input bar" cursor doesn't
always disappear when you type into it's associated widget -- for example,
it currently visible while I type this into kmail.

The "text input bar" cursor I get in konsole also changes into the
standard "pointer" cursor as soon as a menu drops down behind it.  So,
it's use doesn't appear to be limited.

> The question here is whether KWin can do what you want which is to
> change the mouse pointer to a transparent blank when it hasn't been used
> for a certain length of time.

As others mentioned, the Debian "unclutter" package does something like
this, so it's definitely possible under X11.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03 at volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))