[kde-linux] Anyway to have KDE hide mouse pointer when keyboard in use?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jul 26 21:15:51 UTC 2007

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2007, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> wrote
> about 'Re: [kde-linux] Anyway to have KDE hide mouse pointer when keyboard
> in	use?':
>> david wrote:
>>> I once used a Mac on which the mouse pointer politely disappeared
>>> while you were using the keyboard. Can I get the same functionality in
>>> KDE?
>> This sounds like an interesting idea.  However, I think that it would be
>> X11 that would have to do this since it controls the mouse and keyboard
>> when you are running in graphics mode.
>
> Well, konsole is smart enough to hide mouse cursors that are over it while
> you are typing into it.  (So, what the OP wants is most likely possible.)
> However, if you move keyboard focus off the main widget (e.g. into the
> toolbar) the mouse pointer comes back.

Konsole is an Xterm clone and it emulates text mode.  Note that it has a
text mode mouse pointer which and only be used for limited purposes.

The question here is whether KWin can do what you want which is to
change the mouse pointer to a transparent blank when it hasn't been used
for a certain length of time.

--
JRT