[kde-linux] Konqueror & Opera fonts too big on Wikipedia

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jul 20 19:47:36 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 18 July 2007, Rod Butcher wrote:

> So... why do Konqueror and Opera exhibit identical anomalies with
> Wikipedia ?  Or is this a bug in the Wikipedia website's coding that
> Opera and Konqueror show up by virtue of their greater rendering
> accuracy ? Do they use the same rendering engine ?
> gtk-based browsers display wikipedia text the same as any other site.

Two of the possible causes are:
- the Qt based browser probably have a different font lookup for certain
names, so they might end up with a different font then the GTK based browsers

- You X server is not running 96x96 DPI. As far as I know GTK uses a fixed DPI
value of 96, while Qt uses the DPI settings of the X server. If the website
author also uses a system with fixed setting, e.g. Windows, they might have
used fonts which look good on their system and look out of proportion on
systems with correct (device specific) DPI settings.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring