[kde-linux] Konqueror & Opera fonts too big on Wikipedia

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Wed Jul 18 11:22:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 11:52 +0200, Peter Wiersig wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 06:17:17PM +1000, Rod Butcher wrote:
> >
> > Any suggestions ?
>
> kcmshell khtml_fonts
>
> reduce the medium font size. I found 10pt approximates Mozillas
> default of 16px on a 100dpi screen
Yes, that looks OK for wikipedia, but makes fonts too small for other
websites, and I don't want to specify separate settings for separtate
websites, and shouldn't need to.
What seems to occur with both Konqueror and Opera is that there is
something about the way that Wikipedia species fonts, presumably via
style sheets, that interferes with font settings.
I specify that for all websites my personal font settings must override
the websites, so that I can set the font consistently at something my
ancient eyeballs can live with, not what some marketing droid specifies.
So... why do Konqueror and Opera exhibit identical anomalies with
Wikipedia ?  Or is this a bug in the Wikipedia website's coding that
Opera and Konqueror show up by virtue of their greater rendering
accuracy ? Do they use the same rendering engine ?
gtk-based browsers display wikipedia text the same as any other site.
Rod