[kde-linux] Mass .desktop file edition, translation

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Jul 14 14:31:18 UTC 2007

On Saturday 14 July 2007, Hoppár Zoltán wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm one of the i18n group of an linux, and I (we) need some help. We are
> trying to collect / translate / repair all of the .desktop files in the
> system (this is over 3500 file), but haven't found any GUI tool, or for
> this specialized script-tool(s). This includes also KDE .desktop files, so
> therefore writing to here (also). Maybe has somebody somekind of tool(s) to
> easily edit these files. But I think - we accept any type of help - what
> brings us closer to makes easier this work. So, question is: Is there ANY
> kind of tool what makes easier this work, for KDE, or for the full system?

I recommend you ask on the localization mailinglist
https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-i18n-doc

As far as I know KDE uses a semi-automated approach, where a script extracts
translatable fields from the .desktop files and provides the translators with
a .po file just like for other translatable strings. Then there is a second
script which takes the .po files of the different languages and merges the
translations back into the .desktop files.

In KDE SVN (e.g. through websvn.kde.org) this can be seen as commity by an
account named "scripty"

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring