[kde-linux] Upgrade from 3.5.5 to 3.5.7 now my KPowersave & KNetworkManager will not dock

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jul 12 17:13:41 UTC 2007

On Thursday 12 July 2007, Ben Kevan wrote:
> Ever since I upgraded from KDE 3.5.5 to 3.5.7 on my openSuSE 10.2 box the
> KPowersave and KNetworkManager consistently do not dock themselves into the
> system tray. Once I close just KNetworkManager and reopen it, it will then
> dock and KPowersave will magicly follow.
>
> The only thing I have in ~/.kde/Autostart is:
>
> cat .kde/Autostart/startberyl.sh
> #! /bin/sh
> rm ~/.beryl-managerrc
> beryl-manager
> beryl --use-copy
>
> Also, my SuperKaramba's on my desktop do not always come up, but this is
> NOT consistent, sometimes they come up and sometimes they don't.

You could try to start Beryl right away instead of first starting with KWin
and then later replacing it with a different window manager.

The KDE startup script startkde will start whatever program the environment
variable KDEWM points to and only start KWin if the variable is not set.

You can set this variable either somewhere globally (depending on your
distribution) or through KDE's environment extenter mechanism.

For doing the latter, create a file with .sh extension in $HOME/.kde/env/
(might need to create this directory) and set KDEWM to whatever executable
starts beryl.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring