[kde-linux] Floppy drive access

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 11:46:16 UTC 2007

I'm a little surprised no on has answered you yet.  (This on the assumption
that the charter of this list is like the charter of the kwrite-devel list,
which among other things says it is the place to come for help on kate/kwrite
(that surprises me for a devel list, I thought they'd have a kate/kwrite
users list or similar, but I haven't found that yet).)

I have some suggestions but not answers:

On Friday 06 July 2007 01:40 pm, Christopher Huggins wrote:
> I have just upgraded to openSuSE 10.2 with KDE 3.5 and have two problems:
>
> 1.  Each time I boot, the volume control has reset itself to maximum
> volume-result deafness is approaching.

No good ideas here--I'd try to Google for something like [SuSE volume adjust
persistent] (and add or delete search terms until you find something useful.

> 2.  If I insert a floppy disk and then open Konqueror and Click
> on 'media>floppy' nothing happens.   The only way I can read the disk is to
> open a console and enter 'mount /dev/fd0' and then open Konqueror.  Then I
> can read the disk.   In earlier versions of SuSE and KDE the drive was
> automatically mounted on insertion of a disk.
> The entry in 'fstab' reads "/dev/fd0  /media/floppy  auto  noauto,user,sync
0
> 0"  This is the default entry created on installation.
>
> Has anyone any suggestions on how I can correct these two problems, please.

My /etc/fstab for the floppy reads as follows (all on one long line, it
wrapped here) (this on a Mandriva2006 system):

none /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso88
59-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

IIRC, there are two utilities that might be used to automatically mount a
(floppy) disk on insertion, supermount and something else.  It appears that
my Mandriva2006 system uses supermount, and I can confirm that by running the
command supermount--it prints out a short help blurb, which among other
things tells you there is an option to enable/disable supermount:

[root at s14 ~]# supermount
Usage: supermount [OPTION]... <disable | enable>
Enable or disable supermount in fstab.

(The point of that is that I assume (I know) that to get a floppy to automount
you must have both of the following:
   * the correct line in fstab
   * the right automount utility installed and enabled

See if SuSE has automount installed.  If not, try Googling for [automount
linux SuSE] (or similar) in hopes of finding the name of the automount
utility SuSE uses and any details on what is required to make it work.

Randy Kramer