[kde-linux] Exporting mails from kmail

John Andersen jsa at pen.homeip.net
Sun Jul 8 03:24:08 UTC 2007

On Saturday 07 July 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 07 July 2007 03:11:36 John Andersen wrote:
> > On Friday 06 July 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I wouldn't recommend running the imap server on your own computer,
> > > although it's quite possible.  The mail clients sometimes do weird
> > > things in that situation.
> >
> > Not if you configure them properly to contact the mail server (on the
> > same machine) via tcp.  In fact you have to go out of your way to hork it
> > up. I've done this many times.  (Cyrus  only).
>
> Could you expand on that?  I don't normally need it, but I'm a big believer
> in covering as many situations as possible - just in case :-)
>
> Anne

There is really no difference in configuring Kmail (or any other user agent)
for using a mail server on your local server as opposed to using one else
where.

As long as the mail delivery agent (Cyrus i my case) is allowed to server
the 127.0.0.x network it is exactly the same.

I really can't imagine what you were referring to when you said it
does "weird things".  I've never seen a single case of any weird thing
when running the MUA, MDA, and MTA all on the same box.

Cyrus is a special case, because it will also support POP, and sPOP and if you
want your mail available everywhere you should never pop it (unless
you always leave a copy), but rather always use IMAP (preferably secure Imap).
Some people will use pop in one case and IMAP in another and that will mess
up your plan of having all mail available everywhere, but it would be exactly
the same if the mail server was a separate machine.

Remember that in the UNIX world it was common until the advent of spam for
just about every server AND workstation to run the MTA on the same machine
as the MUA.

Rather than have me explain what has been normal and standard in the Unix
world since dirt, perhaps you could explain and give examples of  "weird
things".

--
John Andersen