[kde-linux] Exporting mails from kmail

Peter Humphrey prh at gotadsl.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 11:24:01 UTC 2007

--------- Original Message --------
From: For people using KDE on Linux with related questions/problems
<kde-linux at kde.org>
To: kde-linux at kde.org <kde-linux at kde.org>
Subject: Re: [kde-linux] Exporting mails from kmail
Date: 05/07/07 08:58

> On Wednesday 04 July 2007, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Kmail stores its mail in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail. Don't ask me
why
> > it's hidden, nor why kmail silently overrides any attempt to put it
> > elsewhere, but that's one reason why I want to change e-mail client.
>
> If that's the best reason you have for changing I suggest you are
> on the wrong track.  Its not at all uncommon for kde applications
> to store stuff in the "hidden" subdirectory structure.

I require my mail directories, among others, to live on a separate
partition, which I mount on whichever system I've booted. Kmail will not
allow me this flexibility - evidently it knows better than I do.

I also want a program that doesn't screw up the thread structure when
someone uses a Web mail program to write their replies, instead of an e-mail
client. The current version of kmail is woefully bad in this respect.

> Thunderbird does not have half the features or functionality of Kmail.

I'm prompted to try it again by a review in the latest Linux Format, where
it's shown as having far more features, not fewer.

> Hidden is not an apt description.  Its hidden only in the sense
> of keeping it out of your way.

Exactly so. This is the sort of arrogance that M$ put into all their
products, not to mention Gnome.

> > When I start Thunderbird it offers to import mail, but only of one
type:
> > Communicator 4.0. I assume that will not do.
>
> Kmail can import a gazillion different types of mail.  If you are
> going to a package that can only deal with one type, does that
> not tell you something?

No, it suggests to me that some parts are missing, or that I haven't found
the right way to do what I need. I looked on the Web site but couldn't see
anything, which is why I asked here.

--
Rgds
Peter.