[kde-linux] What's "skim"?

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Thu Jul 5 07:40:46 UTC 2007

There are some wonderful people on earth that make it possible to explain
something so as to make sure no one understands.

I've recently noticed that when I looked for kicker applets there was a "skim"
applet proposed for installation. I wondered what it was. So  I googled a
little and found that extraordinary piece of information:

skim is an input method platform based upon scim-lib under *NIX systems
(including GNU/Linux and FreeBSD) systems optimized for KDE. It provides a
GUI panel (named scim-panel-kde), a KConfig config module and SetupUIs for
itself and scim-lib. It also has its own plugin systems which support
on-demand loadable actions.

When you've read this, you know *nothing* more about that stuff. Better even,
I googled for "scim" and found just the same sort of useless definition.

So: could anyone tell me where I can find an explanation as to what the hell
this scim/skim is supposed to be used for? What's an "input method"?

Thierry