[kde-linux] Shutting down just goes to login screen (was Re: KDE)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Jan 23 20:28:16 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 21:16, david wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 January 2007 18:34, david wrote:
> >> Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> >>
> >> Changing the subject line takes care of that! ;-)
> >
> > No, it doesn't.  Take a look at the Full Headers for your message.  You
> > will see

> >         <45B5807A.2060600 at khmeros.info>
> >         <200701230940.40812.kde at mosehansen.dk>
> >
> > That ties your message to all the ones in the thread 'KDE'.
> >
> > This is a common misconception :-)
>
> I bet that for most people, the most common conception of "threading" is
> - sorting alphabetically by subject ... so my change (not Esben's, by
> the way!) works just fine.

No, Anne is right.
Mail client such as KMail sort primarily by references and, often optionally,
secondarly by subject.

Basically replying to a different thread, even when changing subject, is bad
*because* people tend to have the concept of "thread" as something sorted by
subject and then might misunderstand correct threading as a bug.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring