[kde-linux] Shutting down just goes to login screen (was Re: KDE)

John Andersen jsa at pen.homeip.net
Tue Jan 23 20:29:24 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 11:16, david wrote:
> > That ties your message to all the ones in the thread 'KDE'.
> >
> > This is a common misconception :-)
>
> I bet that for most people, the most common conception of "threading" is
> - sorting alphabetically by subject ... so my change (not Esben's, by
> the way!) works just fine.

NO, your way does not work fine.

Most people on a linux mailing list use competent mail packages like
Kmail (which is what Esben uses).

Kmail has proper threading support:
 (Settings / Configure Kmail / Appearance / Message list )

Proper threading has nothing to do with the subject line, and your
message showed up IN THE SAME THREAD because it has the same
references in the headers:

	<200701230940.40812.kde at mosehansen.dk>
	<45B6552F.2010500 at hawaii.rr.com>
	<200701231912.09877.cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk>

The only people who might be excused from proper netiquette on
mailing lists with regard to threading issues are those running outlook
express or some other mailer that does not understand threading at all and
messes up the headers.

Your mailer understands threading, and sends proper threading
references, so we can't blame the software. ;-)

Threading is wonderful. It only takes a second to use it right
and make life easier for everyone.

--
John Andersen