[kde-linux] Shutting down just goes to login screen (was Re: KDE)

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jan 23 18:34:23 UTC 2007

Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 January 2007 04:26, Eng Vannak wrote:
>> ???????? Heinz Prekel:
>
>> there is problem happen to my computer. it is that i can not shutdown my
>> pc. when i shut it down it just stuck at the login screen. anybody has
>> idea? ___________________________________________________
>
> Most likely, ACPI is disabled. You could check /boot/grub/menu.lst for any
> acpi=off. If this is the case, try editing the boot line at boot menu,
> removing the acpi=off. If your computer boots, it should be able to shutdown,
> too.
>
> DO NOT REMOVE THE acpi=off FROM YOUR menu.lst without testing first.
>
> Oh, and it is considered good form to ask a question by starting a new
> thread :)

Changing the subject line takes care of that! ;-)

My server box used to hang when shutting down - or rather, X would hang.
Killing X would leave me at a text-only login screen. From there I could
shutdown. That happened with or without ACPI on.

Since installing Debian Etch there, the problem disappeared ...

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community