[kde-linux] Sessions names

wireless wireless at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 16 13:15:31 UTC 2007

Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> On 16.1.2007 14:36, wireless wrote:
>> Hello One and all,
>>
>> I've racked my little brain and googled my fingers off but
>> I cannot seem to find a solution for a problem I have.
>>
>> I have lots of embedded targets, often with no host name.
>> I telnet or ssh into them  quite often. Is there any way
>> to automatically change the session name to the ip address
>> of the target (which is sometime an embedded linux system)
>> but not always? That way with dozens of open connections,
>> I can look across the bottom of Kconsole and see the ip addresses
>> of the various (open) shell sessions.
>>
>> Maybe a script that looks that the datagram header (tcp/udp)
>> parses out the ip address and auto-magically renames the session
>> tab?
>>
>> Thoughts and ideas are most welcome.
>
> Hi,
> If you store these sessions in advance (Configure Konsole -> Session tab enter
> the ssh/telnet/whatever command in the Command field) then each time you open
> one of these the tab will display the chosen session's name. You can enter
> whatever you like for a session name, including the ip of the device. A more
> descriptive name like 'My Device X' will be even better.

Hmm,

A little confused what you are saying; here's what I did:
(my terminology might not be correct kde speak)

At the top of the Konsole
-->Settings
   -->Configure Konsole
      -->Session(at the top)
         -->Execute (entered 192.168.2.80)

save/apply

then sshd into the system and it did not display the
ip address in the tab at the bottom of the Konsole session?

Obviously, I think I missed what you call the 'command field'?

James